Sunday, August 8, 2010

Peru bound

Foreword....Well, I planned to write this blog in real time. I failed to realize that, when you are traveling abroad, it may take time to first find an internet cafe and way longer to upload photos and comments. We are so lucky that we live in the states where we have highspeed internet! I have posted some comments and pics on facebook, it was just easier to post a short message. You will most likely see the same pics. But I have added video of my thoughts and travels on this blog...

My dad and I arrived in Lima Peru and were greeted by my sister Lisa. She has been living in Peru for almost 10 years as a missionary with SIL. Last time I saw her was for her wedding 4 years ago, since then she has had a beautiful daughter named Laura. This was my first time meeting her, she is such a cutie.
This pic was taken at the airport, the next day.
Lisa and Jose would accompany us to Tarrapoto and would stay on for a well deserved vacation.





On our flight I took some video of the scenic view outside, just trying to take it all in, I have finally arrived in Peru and out of the capital Lima and into the true untamed Peru!








Quick note before I post more video. If you have never video tape yourself, you should do it. You will find quirks about yourself that you never knew. Sorry if this blog has so much video, i tried to video a lot so my wife would experience what my adventures consisted of.









It would have take a least 2 days had to get my facts staight.








Once we landed I was so excited to get to the hotel to see the motos and look around the town. The Hotel we stayed at was called the Patarashea. It was very picturesque. Tarapoto was a typical Peru town, except there were motos everywhere!








I was exited to get on the road... little did I know that it's not that easy, things don't move that fast in south america and I should get use to it.







Day 1 on Moto

First we need fix/prep the motos from the previous owners. We got the motos on the 3rd leg of the trip so they were in well used condition.






Then load all our junk/luggage on the sweeper truck. To many of us this was the highlight of our trip... just ask my dad or Grego!






We got the motos gassed up and we were off, out of tarapoto and into some smooth tarmac that decended quickly. That meant a lot of "S" turns! Now I live in Florida, land of the curvy roads? No.  I have done almost all my moto riding in the sunshine state. I have never done twisty roads, I didn't even know how to handle them. Several times I had to swing wide into the oncoming lane due to taking these corners to wide with too much speed. While the rest of the guys just flew down the mountain side. I had to learn and had to do if fast. The scenic view down and up the hilly landscape was incredible.





Today were were headed to Juan Jui in the high jungle and the roads at one point were being redone. They consisted of loose dirt and I almost ate it but was able to recover before I went in to the ditch. We arrived just before it got dark. We were dusty and tired and hungry,  to our surprise they had a pool and everybody got in right away to cool down and relax after a fun and challenging day of riding.







After a nice dip in the pool we were off to get a bite to eat at a local polleria several block away.







After munchin on some good pollo we headed back to the hotel and crashed hard, I was kind of sore from the ride but I never had felt better, my mind was as peace. What a great 1st day!

No comments:

Post a Comment